miércoles, 12 de mayo de 2010

How this works

Welcome to the blog for book discussion. Here, you’ll be posting letters telling your friends about the books you have read, following the task and model below. You’ll be writing about the plot, characters and language of the book, as well as your opinion of it, so we can all use this blog for future reference when we need to choose our reading books.
So, here’s the task and the model:
You’ve received an e-mail from a friend of yours who is also learning English. You have both been asked to read books in English, and in her e-mail she asked you about the book you’ve read. Don’t forget to mention:
· What you’ve been doing in the last couple of months.
· Details about the book you’ve read (title, author, plot, characters, etc.)
· What you liked and disliked about it, and your recommendation for your friend. Is it good for your level of English, do you think? Why/why not?



SAMPLE E-MAIL
(4) Hi Debbie!
I was so glad to hear from you, (1) it’s been really long since we last met. I hope (1) you’re fine, and getting ready for your English exam!
As for me, (1) I’ve been really busy these weeks. I’ve been preparing for my exams at university and (1) I haven’t left the library in the last week (well, maybe I’m exaggerating a little bit there). But I’ve (2) definitely been working a lot: I’ve arranged a trip for next month, and I’ve had (2) lots of visits from my family to see my new flat. Right now I’m trying to find a present for Chris. It’s his birthday next week, (3) did you remember that? Don’t forget the (1) party’s on Friday. Hope to see you there at eight! (3)
You asked me about the book I’ve been reading. Well, I didn’t choose anything very original: I read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson. (8) You know I’m keen on thrillers and crime fiction, so it seemed a good choice. (3) And it was! (7) It’s really fast-paced and full of action, really one of the most gripping books I’ve ever read. It tells the story of a journalist, Mikael Blomkvist, (6) who is accused of libel and has to leave his job in his magazine, Millenium, for some time. He accepts the offer of an old man, Vanger, to try to find his missing niece, and this allows him to leave the capital and move to the north for a year. (8) As he advances in the investigation, he discovers that there is something very mysterious in the whole affair, and decides to ask for the help of a young woman, Lisbeth Salander, (6) who works for a detective company in Stockholm. But she’s not a conventional detective! (7) She’s extremely reserved, very awkward in her social relationships, and even her physical appearance is unusual. But surprisingly, they make a good team. And I’m not telling you anything else, (1) ‘cos I don’t want to spoil the ending!
(8) What I loved about the book was the characters. They are wonderfully created, powerful, strange and at the same time so real. And the language of the book was not as difficult as I expected. And well, (8) if I had to tell you something negative, I’d say the beginning (7) was a bit dull, very slow-moving for one hundred pages or so. But then it gets better, so I strongly recommend it to you. 
(8) I hope this helps you choose a book to read. And please, tell me if you start reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, because I’d love to discuss it with you!It may seem a little challenging at first, but once you get into the story, it's all about enjoying it and you forget that it was ever hard to read!
(4) Love,
Beatriz



For the informal e-mail, notice:

1) 1 1. The use of contractions (I’m, I’ve, ‘cos,…)
2) 2. The informal language: lots of, definitely, really, you know, well, a little bit,…
3 3. The direct questions and exclamations.
4 4. The informal beginning (Hi) and ending (Love).
In the “review” section, notice
5 5. How the information was divided into paragraphs (first, the details and plot summary, then the opinion and recommendation)
6) 6. The use of relative clauses, which are extremely useful.
7 7. The variety of adverbs and adjectives
8) 8. The variety of structures.


Your emails should be sent to me so they are posted as separate entries. I'd be really nice if you made comments and asked questions to the reviewers of the books!

Give us also a list of five words of expressions that you've learnt while reading this book, together with their context and their meaning.






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario